So we’ve been hit with some devastating news. Harry Potter: Wizards Unite is shutting down early next year.
The game will officially go down on January 31st in 2022, which you can read more about here.
This is the second Niantic game to be getting sunset, with Catan: World Explorers being the other one last month.
“Tune in as Harry and Hermione put an end to the Calamity before Harry Potter: Wizards Unite officially closes on January 31, 2022“
To give players one last hurrah, the developers will be adding in some gameplay changes starting from November 2nd.
- All Daily Assignments will have their rewards increased
- All Potion Brew times will be reduced by 50% with Master Notes
- The daily cap on sending and opening Gifts will be removed
- Barrufio’s Brain Elixir potion will now award 3× player XP
- 1920s Portkey Portmanteaus will appear on the map more frequently and associated Fragment rewards will be doubled
- Spell Energy and Ingredients will appear on the map more frequently
There will also be more events and lethal adversaries running from now until the game shuts down. Such as the Death Hallows event.
Whilst Wizards Unite is shutting down on January 31st, 2022, it won’t be possible to make in-game purchases as of December 6th, 2021.
There was no specific reason for why the game is getting shut down, however, there is some speculation.
Unlike Pokémon GO, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite has always struggled to find its footing. It couldn’t decide whether it wanted to be an RPG or collect ’em all game.
The developers will also be bringing the game’s storyline to an end too. We will miss you Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
To stay up to date with all things augmented reality, you should follow us on Twitter!